Friday, July 22, 2011

An Odd Collection

Today I was thinking that I hadn’t been posting any of my pictures from my most recent trip to the zoo. I do have some good ones, but it was not a very good day for taking pictures, so I was kind of disappointed with my shots for the day. The light was extremely harsh and it was so hot. The animals were all just lying around doing nothing. I have some shots that I’ll do in “Theme” posts, such as the zebra which I was finally able to get some pictures of, and I got some shots in the Desert Dome as well. They say you’re your own worst critic, and I suppose that could be the case here. I do have some good shots and I’ll post them once I get over myself. :)
Today I decided that I’d do things a little different. Instead of posting all my photographic triumphs, I decided to post some pictures that were a little off. None of them are bad pictures, they’re just ones that I normally would just stick in a folder and not show off. Some are better than others, some you might really like, some might make you say, “Yeah, you probably should have just stuck that one out of sight.” But all of them have something that is a little quirky, and I thought some of you might want to see them. If you like them let me know. Maybe I’ll do more odd posts in the future. If it’s a horrible idea, also let me know and I’ll stick to just posting animal glamor shots.
Zoo5 016

Zoo5 021

Zoo5 043

Zoo5 106

Zoo5 139

Zoo5 156

Zoo5 188

Zoo5 205

Zoo5 210

Zoo5 224

Zoo5 268

Zoo5 285

Zoo5 298

Zoo5 326

Zoo5 352

Zoo5 373

Zoo5 398

Zoo5 420

Zoo5 433

Zoo5 459

Zoo5 467

Zoo5 485

Zoo5 493

Zoo5 498

Zoo5 507

Zoo5 516

Zoo5 533

Zoo5 547

Zoo5 556

Zoo5 564

Zoo5 571

Zoo5 598

2 comments:

  1. I am very impressed with your photographic art of late. The bull riding pics. These 'odd' pics... actually some of the framing in this particular blog post is just amazing... I really like the parts of birds where you don't have the whole animal in the frame... and other animals too... that lions' snarl and the tight shot of part of the desert dome was cool to. The macaw, I think it was, particularly impressed me. Just the intricacies of Godš creation with that birds beak and feathers as itš "preening", it that the word? Sometimes you don't notice this stuff when you look at the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like focusing on small details that you really don't notice when you are looking at the animal as a whole. It's hard to do at the zoo since the animals are usually so far away, but once in awhile, if they are close enough I can zoom in with my zoom lens and get some good shots. The parrots in the Garden of the Senses are really good subjects since they are close enough to touch. And yes, preening is the word. :)

    I like doing "different" framing, centering your subject isn't always the best way to go in my opinion. It makes it look more interesting to have it off to the side, or to tilt the camera a little.

    And like I said before, these weren't necessarily "Bad" pictures, they are just ones that normally I wouldn't show off, all for various reasons, like the ducklings, I really liked the picture, but I normally wouldn't go around showing it off because of, ahem... Well, because of all the bird poop. :p And the owl, I have better pictures where he's not in a weird pose and there's a blurry thing in front of him.

    I think I will occasionally do posts like this again, when I get a bunch of pictures that I like certain things about but they just aren't "Great" pictures.

    ReplyDelete